The last couple of weeks we have been fighting off colds. Thankfully, Mark and I were hit the hardest and the kids were left untouched for the most part. Timmy has had a stuffy nose and he was treated for an ear infection but I’m fairly certain his was due more to allergies and/or teething. When Titus started his pre-pneumonia cough it had Mark and I immediately on edge.
Mark and I have learned that at the first sign of Titus coughing to start his nebulizer treatments as soon as we can. We have also learned to pair his treatments with essential oils at the same time. For some reason, we find the nebulizer does not work as well if not paired with his key essential oils. We nebbed Titus every four hours for two days and put Breathe by Doterra and Dragon Time by Young Living. These two combinations work wonders for Titus.
After the two days of nebbing and oils, Titus’ body snapped out of the pre-pneumonia cough and went back to normal business! This is incredible! This is a miracle! I am overjoyed, ecstatic, and doing a happy dance for my son’s body! Three years ago we were battling respiratory infections literally every month from Sept. until April. We were seeing these scary sicknesses go through our kids like a brush fire. Several times Titus was close to being hospitalized and we had many sleepless nights praying he would keep breathing.
There are a few things I have been doing in our lives to strengthen our immune systems.
- I began making my own bone broth and keeping it on hand. Bone broth freezes well and turns ordinary dishes into savory masterpieces. I use broth in the place of water and our bodies get the added nutrients.
- Especially during the winter and allergy seasons we have soup for at least once a week and it is not uncommon for us to eat it more often during the week depending on what our bodies are doing. One of the reasons soup is so good for you is because it usually contains veggies and meat that take less work for our bodies to process. Another reason broth and soup work so well is because the broth is a liquid it does not have to be digested. The nutrients go right into your system to begin healing your body.
- I have also introduced Elderberry syrup into our diet. Elderberries contain a crazy amount of good for you stuff. Combined with local honey it is a powerhouse boost for your body.
- When we see the first onslaught of sickness in our family we try to slow down as much as possible. Instead of running full speed until we cannot go any further. We slow down, rest, pump our bodies full of broth, elderberry syrup, and sleep. Slowing down before our sicknesses get our of hands usually allows our body to mend much quicker and we quicker to get back on our feet.
- I began making as much as possible from scratch. We have gone through times were life was crazy busy and I have slacked off on the homemade good for you stuff. It is ok for a time period but I find if we continue on this diet for too long we get sick more often, we feel sluggish, and our bodies start doing weird stuff.
The steps we have taken to build up our immune systems has been worth it! To see Titus’ body snapped out of what would have normally become pneumonia fills my heart with joy. It has been a three to four-year process and I often wondered if we would ever see the change in our bodies. If you are on a journey to healing I assure you the steps you take to building your immune system is well worth it!
What has helped you and your families journey to building your immune system?
[…] vegetables with the herbs and spices I was going to use before simmering them with the meat and broth, allowed for a more robust flavor that was missing if I skipped this step. I learned the reason […]